PayPal Plus is a popular payment solution in Germany that includes the payment options widely used by German citizens such as PayPal, credit cards, direct debit (ELV) and Pay by Invoice — even if they don’t have a PayPal account.
Accepting more payment methods is important, because buyers tend to abandon checkout if they can’t use their preferred way to pay. By enabling PayPal Plus in your store, you can quickly and easily offer your customers all the different payment options that come with it, including highly popular in the EU SEPA method, and thus increase your sales.
PayPal Plus is available in Germany only. If you are located in another country and want to offer your customers SEPA payment option, you can add it to your store checkout via Stripe or with the SEPA: Online Payment Method app.
Setting up PayPal Plus
To start accepting payments with PayPal Plus in your store:
- From your store admin, go to Payment.
- Scroll down and Choose Payment Method → PayPal PLUS.
Apply for PayPal Plus by clicking on the link:
You will be redirected to PayPal website where you can log into your existing account or create a new one and apply for PayPal Plus.
- Once your PayPal Plus account is approved, enter your PayPal email and click Save.
- Make sure the PayPal Plus is activated in your PayPal account. Click Continue to PayPal to check the status of the PayPal Plus.
- You can also accept payments with the Pay upon Invoice option to get paid upfront while PayPal takes all the risks and protects you from chargebacks. To activate the Pay upon Invoice method, simply click on Apply for Pay upon Invoice:
You will be redirected to the PayPal website where you can apply for the invoice payment option.
- In the Payment method name at checkout field you can enter the name under which customers see this payment method at checkout or leave it as PayPal.
- In the Payment instructions for customers field you may add helpful information for your customers at checkout about how the payment process will be handled.
Once you complete these steps, the PayPal algorithm will start to automatically offer additional relevant payment options to your customers at checkout based on buyer’s location and browser cookies.
Accepting payments with PayPal Plus
After you enable PayPal Plus in your store, your customers will be able to choose this payment option at your store checkout. With PayPal Plus your buyers from Germany may pick how they want to pay for their order — with PayPal, SEPA-Lastschrift, credit card or with invoice:
Depending on the country they are from, your customers may choose from one or several payment options. For example, if they are from Belgium, customers may pick only PayPal or credit card options.
After customers choose a preferred payment method they will be redirected to the PayPal website to proceed with payment.
Once the payment is completed the status of the order will be updated automatically. You can always check what payment method has been used for an order and the current status of the order by viewing this order’s details in your store admin, My Sales → Orders.